Giri Raj Mani Pokhrel
Election Area: Mahottari-1 (Elected)
An influential leader of UCPN-Maoist, Giri Raj Mani Pokhrel was born on March 7, 1959 in Kharpa, Khotang. Son of Chandra Mani and Kanak Kumari Pokhrel, he holds Master’s Degree in Management Faculty and Law.
Joined politics in 1979, Pokhrel was appointed as a Minister for Health by the coalition government led by UCPN-Maoist, formed immediately after Nepal being declared as a republic country. Pokhrel, a vice chairman of CPN-unity centre, is elected as a member of Standing Committee of UCPN-Maoist, after the unification of two parties.
In the first Constituent Assembly Election of 2008, he was elected from Mahottari-1 with 10,196 votes, defeating Arun Kumar Singh of CPN-UML. Singh received 8,846 votes while another opponent Kamal Kumar Dungel of NC received 6,061 votes.
Pokhrel, a loyal leader to chairman Puspa Kamal Dahal ‘Prachand’ and former vice chairman Narayan Kaji Shrestha ‘Prakash’, is also in-charge of the Health Department of UCPN-Maoist.
- 30 parties to write the new constitution
- UN Secretary General Ban congratulates people of Nepal
- I suggested Prachanda to resolve the differences peacefully: Carter
- CA Election 2013 a great success, claims CEC Uprety
Have Your Say
Click on Facebook, Twitter, SMS or IVR icon to submit your voice.
Voices from Overseas
While the leaders of the four major parties claim that the CA Election is for drafting constitution,...Ganga Bahadur Gharti Magar, Damri, Pyuthan, now Jeddah, Saudi Arab
May one party, whichever that may be, receive majority and bring improvements to the nation's co...Pashupati Baral, now UAE
Here is my suggestion for the upcoming CA election. Nepal is facing big problem now as half of the ...Raghu Nath Sah
I read the news regarding- the EC is unable to distribute voters’ i-card to all voters prior t...Nawaraj Nabodit, Abudabi, UAE
Citizen Voice/Have Your Say
People walk for 3-4 hours to vote. The leaders, however, use helicopter to cover a distance of even just an hour's walking distance. Why does the EC not see this?
Ujwal Kharel @uzlkharel
Those who capture booths are cowards, no matter whichever party carries it out. This is a disregard to the people's ballot. The election should be cancelled if the booth is captured.
Bhupa Raj Ekal Yatri
One who can buy you today may sell you tomorrow! Vote without considering notes. Choose the right candidate.
Beni Moktan @beni_moktan
- JUMLA, NOVEMBER 19 - Voting in two election centers in Jumla's Depalgaun VDC has been postponed, after CPN-Maoist looted ballot boxes on Tuesday. Some 60 cadres of CPN-Maoist looted ballot boxes from the election centers of Tribhuwan High School in Depalgaun VDC.
- BHOJPUR, NOVEMBER 16 - Two miscreants attacked the UCPN-Maoist' election assembly being held in Jarayotar VDC, eastern Bhojour with two bombs.