Lilamani Pokhrel was born on June 18, 1952 in Khaira-8, Pyuthan. He is the son of Bamdev Upadhyaya and Kaladevi and has two sons. He holds a Bachelor's Degree in Geography and Bachelor's Degree from Education Faculty. He is contesting from Kathmandu-2 in the CA Election 2013 representing UCPN-Maoist.
He took the party membership in 1972 from central nucleus and became treasurer of ANNFSU (Fifth) in 1976. He became the president of ANNFSU for three times; first in 1980 and then in 1982 and again in 1992.
Pokhrel became secretariat member of the Central Left Front in 1991 and was the spokesperson of the Left Front during the democracy movement of 1990. Also affiliated with the CPN (Fourth Convention), Pokhrel went on to become politburo member of Unity Center (Masal) in 2008.
After the party unification between CPN (Unity Center) and CPN (Maoist) in 2008, Pokhrel became the Standing Committee member of the newly formed UCPN-Maoist. He currently is the central member of UCPN-Maoist. He was jailed for four and a half years in total on multiple occasions.
In the CA Election 2008, Pokhrel lost to Nirkumari Kunwar in Sindhuli-3. Unity Center (Masal) had not unified with the Maoist then. Kunwar received 19,944 votes while Pokhrel received only 3,748 votes.
- 30 parties to write the new constitution
- UN Secretary General Ban congratulates people of Nepal
- I suggested Prachanda to resolve the differences peacefully: Carter
- CA Election 2013 a great success, claims CEC Uprety
Have Your Say
Click on Facebook, Twitter, SMS or IVR icon to submit your voice.
Voices from Overseas
While the leaders of the four major parties claim that the CA Election is for drafting constitution,...Ganga Bahadur Gharti Magar, Damri, Pyuthan, now Jeddah, Saudi Arab
May one party, whichever that may be, receive majority and bring improvements to the nation's co...Pashupati Baral, now UAE
Here is my suggestion for the upcoming CA election. Nepal is facing big problem now as half of the ...Raghu Nath Sah
I read the news regarding- the EC is unable to distribute voters’ i-card to all voters prior t...Nawaraj Nabodit, Abudabi, UAE
Citizen Voice/Have Your Say
People walk for 3-4 hours to vote. The leaders, however, use helicopter to cover a distance of even just an hour's walking distance. Why does the EC not see this?
Ujwal Kharel @uzlkharel
Those who capture booths are cowards, no matter whichever party carries it out. This is a disregard to the people's ballot. The election should be cancelled if the booth is captured.
Bhupa Raj Ekal Yatri
One who can buy you today may sell you tomorrow! Vote without considering notes. Choose the right candidate.
Beni Moktan @beni_moktan
- JUMLA, NOVEMBER 19 - Voting in two election centers in Jumla's Depalgaun VDC has been postponed, after CPN-Maoist looted ballot boxes on Tuesday. Some 60 cadres of CPN-Maoist looted ballot boxes from the election centers of Tribhuwan High School in Depalgaun VDC.
- BHOJPUR, NOVEMBER 16 - Two miscreants attacked the UCPN-Maoist' election assembly being held in Jarayotar VDC, eastern Bhojour with two bombs.