General Secretary of Nepali Congress Prakash Man Singh was born on April 3, 1956 in Chhetrapati, Kathmandu. His father Ganesh Man Singh and mother Mangala Devi Singh both were closely involved in Nepal's democratic movements and party politics of Nepali Congress. He is hence taken as the leader to bear the legacy of his parents. His father Ganesh Man Singh, who was instrumental in the fall of the Rana regime, was the supreme commander of the people's movement in 1990 that overthrew three-decade long party-less Panchayat system.
Prakash Man Singh began his political career in 1977 and was the first person to be elected in the CA Election 2008. He won the election from Kathmandu-1 with 14,318 votes. His nearest opponent Pradip Nepal (CPN-UML) was far behind Singh with 6,789 votes. Dr. Ram Man Shrestha (UCPN-Maoist) came third with 4,836 votes.
Having spent about two years in jail in course of his political career, Singh holds a Master's Degree in Statistics. Despite having the benefit of family legacy and political vigor, Singh is often considered as lacking shrewdness and sometimes factionist politician in the party.
Singh supported Sher Bahadur Deuba when NC split in 2002 but joined the camp of incumbent President SushilKoirala after the unification back in 2007.
- 30 parties to write the new constitution
- UN Secretary General Ban congratulates people of Nepal
- I suggested Prachanda to resolve the differences peacefully: Carter
- CA Election 2013 a great success, claims CEC Uprety
Have Your Say
Click on Facebook, Twitter, SMS or IVR icon to submit your voice.
Voices from Overseas
While the leaders of the four major parties claim that the CA Election is for drafting constitution,...Ganga Bahadur Gharti Magar, Damri, Pyuthan, now Jeddah, Saudi Arab
May one party, whichever that may be, receive majority and bring improvements to the nation's co...Pashupati Baral, now UAE
Here is my suggestion for the upcoming CA election. Nepal is facing big problem now as half of the ...Raghu Nath Sah
I read the news regarding- the EC is unable to distribute voters’ i-card to all voters prior t...Nawaraj Nabodit, Abudabi, UAE
Citizen Voice/Have Your Say
People walk for 3-4 hours to vote. The leaders, however, use helicopter to cover a distance of even just an hour's walking distance. Why does the EC not see this?
Ujwal Kharel @uzlkharel
Those who capture booths are cowards, no matter whichever party carries it out. This is a disregard to the people's ballot. The election should be cancelled if the booth is captured.
Bhupa Raj Ekal Yatri
One who can buy you today may sell you tomorrow! Vote without considering notes. Choose the right candidate.
Beni Moktan @beni_moktan
- JUMLA, NOVEMBER 19 - Voting in two election centers in Jumla's Depalgaun VDC has been postponed, after CPN-Maoist looted ballot boxes on Tuesday. Some 60 cadres of CPN-Maoist looted ballot boxes from the election centers of Tribhuwan High School in Depalgaun VDC.
- BHOJPUR, NOVEMBER 16 - Two miscreants attacked the UCPN-Maoist' election assembly being held in Jarayotar VDC, eastern Bhojour with two bombs.