Born on March 19, 1957 in Rampurwa VDC-6 of Nawalparasi, Devendra Raj Kandel is the son of Prithvi Raj and Dhan Devi Kandel. He has a son and a daughter. He is contesting from Nawalparasi-4 in the CA Election 2013 representing Nepali Congress.
He comes from a family with a long political background. His grandmother Radha Devi Kandel was a member of NC's Parliamentary Committee in 1959. His father Prithvi Raj was elected as member of the parliament in 1959.
During the Pachayata Period, Kandel was first elected as Pradhan Pancha in 1982 and held the post for two terms. After the restoration of democracy, he elected from Nawalparasi-4 in the legislative elections of 1994 and 1999. He was appointed as whip of NC Parliamentary Party.
He became the State Minister for Home Affairs twice in 1998 and 2000. During his stay in the office, he put rewards on the heads of the Maoist rebel leaders. Later in 2004, the Maoists attempted to kill him and fired 17 rounds of bullets on him, seven of which hit the mark. He still carries one of the bullets on his chest.
He contested in the CA Election 2008 from Nawalparasi-5 but lost by some three thousand votes.
- 30 parties to write the new constitution
- UN Secretary General Ban congratulates people of Nepal
- I suggested Prachanda to resolve the differences peacefully: Carter
- CA Election 2013 a great success, claims CEC Uprety
Have Your Say
Click on Facebook, Twitter, SMS or IVR icon to submit your voice.
Voices from Overseas
While the leaders of the four major parties claim that the CA Election is for drafting constitution,...Ganga Bahadur Gharti Magar, Damri, Pyuthan, now Jeddah, Saudi Arab
May one party, whichever that may be, receive majority and bring improvements to the nation's co...Pashupati Baral, now UAE
Here is my suggestion for the upcoming CA election. Nepal is facing big problem now as half of the ...Raghu Nath Sah
I read the news regarding- the EC is unable to distribute voters’ i-card to all voters prior t...Nawaraj Nabodit, Abudabi, UAE
Citizen Voice/Have Your Say
People walk for 3-4 hours to vote. The leaders, however, use helicopter to cover a distance of even just an hour's walking distance. Why does the EC not see this?
Ujwal Kharel @uzlkharel
Those who capture booths are cowards, no matter whichever party carries it out. This is a disregard to the people's ballot. The election should be cancelled if the booth is captured.
Bhupa Raj Ekal Yatri
One who can buy you today may sell you tomorrow! Vote without considering notes. Choose the right candidate.
Beni Moktan @beni_moktan
- JUMLA, NOVEMBER 19 - Voting in two election centers in Jumla's Depalgaun VDC has been postponed, after CPN-Maoist looted ballot boxes on Tuesday. Some 60 cadres of CPN-Maoist looted ballot boxes from the election centers of Tribhuwan High School in Depalgaun VDC.
- BHOJPUR, NOVEMBER 16 - Two miscreants attacked the UCPN-Maoist' election assembly being held in Jarayotar VDC, eastern Bhojour with two bombs.